Penguins are one of my favorite animals. When I would go to the zoo as a little girl I’d always ask to have one as a pet, because obviously if they can have them in the zoo in the warm weather then I could have one at my house right? So, I’m dedicating a post to them.
Plus how cute is this picture?
Fun Facts about Penguins
– Penguins live between 15-20 years
– There are 18 different species of penguins. The smallest is the Fairy Penguin that is only 2 lbs, while the biggest is the Empire, which can be up to 90.
– Penguins are not naturally afraid of humans
– Penguins can swim up to 25 miles an hour.
– Penguins are only found below the equator. Most people think they are only in Antarctica, but they are also found in South America, New Zealand, South Africa, and Australia.
– Their feathers are waterproof.
– Penguins can survive over 3 months without food.
– Males take care of the eggs, and then they switch and the females watch over the hatched children.
– Penguins catch all their food in the sea. They are carnivores.
– Penguins can’t fly, but they are the fast swimming bird and the deepest diving bird.
– Penguins eyes work better underwater than they do in the air.